Saturday, March 24, 2012

It’s a Woman’s Prerogative . . . .

. . . to change her mind, and in keeping with that notion, I have altered my plans and will now extend my contract in Doha beyond October 2012. There are just too many exciting and interesting things going on at UCQ and I want to be part of them! Life is exciting here – we have just announced our new diploma program, there is a new associate dean coming, the student services team is growing, student numbers are increasing, we are building student life programs, a graduate program is likely to come on stream in the next year – all wonderful challenges which will be so great to work on.

My amazing family has been wonderfully supportive of my staying in Qatar for another year or two – it gives them more time to come and visit! I read somewhere that the Middle East is now the fastest growing tourist area in the world. They have a way to go with tourist amenities, but it is a very interesting part of the world – change is coming fast here. If any of you are thinking of visiting, I would love to see you!

Yesterday I took a trip out to the Musfer Cave (a 100 meter deep sink hole in the middle of the desert) and the Singing Sand Dunes.

Leslie at the mouth of MusferCave

Along the way we saw goats and camels roaming around the desert. The main dune was really huge and the people climbing up the face of the dune looked like ants:

We took a different approach up the dune which wasn't quite so vertical, but it was still quite a slog.

Me on the way to the top of the dune

Silly me, I thought the dunes just ‘sang’ as you stood there and listened. Oh, no, you climb to the top of the dune, sit down and skootch yourself down on your butt. The skootching action gets the sand moving and starts the dunes to ‘humming’ – a very cool sound, especially when you have about 20 of you starting at the same time! The skootching was really hard work on my legs – a good workout! Check the video:

The sound you hear is the dunes 'singing/humming.' That's Chris Jensen, our latest addition to UCQ staff, right ahead of me capturing the moment on her tablet which she is holding up in front of her. She's getting right into life in Doha!


Today, Saturday, I flew to Abu Dhabi for a visit with my friend and former P.E.O. provincial board pal, Nancy Racicot. She is visiting her nephew who is living and working in Abu Dhabi. It was fabulous to spend the afternoon with Nancy, chatting, eating and walking! So great to meet an old friend while we are on the other side of the world!

Nancy and me on the Corniche in Abu Dhabi

Another (better) photo of Nancy and me in the hotel w/out wind.

As we walked along the corniche, we watched the start of this sailing race:

One of the boats had some really inexperienced sailors who ran into a lot of trouble and were quite hilarious to watch; they actually came careening right into the concrete abutment where we were standing. There was a lot of shouting and waving of arms as the 'sailors' were trying to keep the boat upright, in the first instance; and then to get it back on course. They eventually got going. I wonder who won the race - they were quickly out of sight.

The mosque in Abu Dhabi is supposed to be the most beautiful mosque in the world. I have never been in it, but here's a photo of the exterior which I took asI drove past it on the way to the airport:

All in all, a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment