Monday, October 26, 2009

Settling in

Saturday was a better and interesting day. I guess you could call it "coffee day". In the morning, I went to Starbucks for coffee with a couple of women from my apartment building. The concept of time here seems so different to me. We must have sat in Starbucks for 2 hours, and I wasn't even antsy to leave! At noon, another woman from work who lives in the other apartment building which is about a 15-20 minute walk from my building, came to pick me up and we walked to another coffee shop where we meet two other women for coffee. We had a great time chatting away, and I thought surely it must be about dinner time when I looked at my watch and found it was only 2:00! Because it was still so early some of us went upstairs to a great home store to look for more stuff for setting up our homes. Truly, this shopping goes on forever! Every time I go to do something in the kitchen, I find I'm lacking something. The other night I realized I didn't have a can opener. I called my neighbour, Marianne, to ask if she had one I could borrow. When she gave it to me I went to open the can and return it to her right away, and found the can was one of those with a peel back lid. I felt a little silly, but we had a good laugh. I still need a can opener, tho!

I'm starting to feel a little better each day at work. Not much is going on that is pressing right now, so I'm spending a lot of time reading the calendar, student files, and learning the new systems that are used here. The photocopier is the fanciest machine I've ever seen - it takes me about 5 minutes to make one copy, what with all the codes and preference selections you have to make.

The upcoming weekend will be pretty busy. The Doha Tribeca Film Festival is in town starting Thursday. A group of us are going to see the opening night film - Amelia, which has probably already opened in Calgary. It's being shown outdoors on the grounds of the Museum of Islamic Arts which is a stunning structure. I hope to catch a couple of the other films as well. Apparently Martin Scorcese, Hilary Swank and some other big names are scheduled to be here.

On Sunday I will be going to the finals of a big women's tennis tournament. I hope I'll get to see Venus and/or Serena Williams play.

Not missing the cold and snow, and am slowly getting acclimated to the heat and humidity. Did a load of laundry last night and since there is no dryer in my apartment I have to hang things to dry. (Everyone here has a drying rack in their spare bedroom.) The clothes are almost dry after 24 hours! I may think about getting a dryer. I asked someone else who has one how she vents it. She has it in her second bedroom and merely opens the window and closes the door to the bedroom to vent the dryer outside!

More later!

No comments:

Post a Comment